30 Minute Pre-Holiday Season Workout
You might think that the best time to work out is the day after a holiday party. You convince yourself that you'll work off whatever extra calories you put in while you're celebrating. Unfortunately, that isn't always the case. Instead of waiting until after your party to head to the gym, consider a pre-party workout to help you shine while you're out on the town.
1. Start squatting. Do 3 sets of squats, with 8-12 squats in each set. If you're working out at home instead of at your gym, use a dining room chair to judge how far down to bend before you return to a standing position. Don't let your bottom touch the seat! You'll tone up your backside so that it looks spectacular in that pair of pants or dress you've selected for your holiday party. (5 minutes)
2. Raise those calves. Calf raises are a great choice before you head out for the evening. Plan to do 3 sets of 12-25 calf raises on each set. The stairs are the perfect choice for this pre-party workout. Stand on the bottom step, hold onto the railing for balance, and then raise and lower your legs with your toes on the edge of the step. Your legs will dazzle in those stilettos, ladies! (5 minutes)
3. Extend your triceps. Keep your triceps firm while you're filling your glass, offering hugs, and showing some off your toned arms this holiday season. Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. If you have free weights at home, use one for this exercise. If not, you can use a hardback book, or other household item weighing approximately 5-10 lbs (nothing breakable or sharp, please). Extend your arms above your head, holding the item carefully. Then bend at the elbows and bring the item down behind your head. Repeat this action 8-12 times, for 3 sets. (5 minutes)
4. Run for 10 minutes. You don't have to run far or long to feel a little bit better about yourself before you head out this holiday season. Make time for a quick 10 minute run as part of your 30-minute pre-party workout. Is it too cold or snowy to do it outside? Run up and down the stairs for 10 minutes, instead. (10 minutes)
5. Crunch time. Finish off your holiday workout with 3 sets of crunches. You'll feel better about your waistline when you take a few minutes to tone it up. Keep your knees bent and your arms crossed across your chest or touching (not lifting) your head. Do 10-15 crunches in each set. (5 minutes)
Your pre-party workout can help you look, and feel, more festive this holiday season.
Content by Kelly Herdrich.